I have been making breakfast recipes this week that I can store or freeze for a quick on-the-go healthy breakfast when I start work. Today I made healthier versions of Egg McMuffin sandwiches that you can freeze and just reheat in the microwave on a hectic morning. I used egg whites instead of whole eggs and 100% whole wheat english muffins. I had to use american cheese slices today because that was all we had in the fridge, but usually I would use cheddar cheese slices because I feel like that is less processed and tastes better, in my opinion. I topped them off with a slice of ham instead of bacon. I calculated that it is about 235 calories for one sandwich. Not bad at all! Here is the Recipe:
Make-Ahead Egg Sandwiches
Recipe adapted from The Yummy Life
6 whole wheat english muffins
18 Tablespoons egg whites
6 slices cheddar cheese
6 slices ham
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toast all english muffins either in a toaster or under a broiler.
3. Spray 6 ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg whites into each ramekin and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake the egg whites in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
6. Build 6 sandwiches by layering the egg white, cheese, and ham onto english muffin.
7. Wrap in parchment paper and freeze.
To eat, just reheat sandwich and enjoy!